Project SHARE’s High Tunnel (greenhouse) started on June 3, 2013. The High Tunnel has provided hundreds of pounds of fresh produce to our community. More importantly, it is where recipients and volunteers grow together. All produce grown at the High Tunnel is sold to local restaurants, used in culinary classes, preserved and used at distribution.
In April, 2016, over 600 tomato plants were planted in the High Tunnel. In the area surrounding the High Tunnel beds of strawberries, fresh herbs, peppers, zucchini and flowers are planted. Since early April, the High Tunnel has hosted a number of school groups and other volunteers. All of these activities support Project SHARE’s High Tunnel goals:
- Create a place where recipients, volunteers and staff can build relationships
- To grow our own produce for our nutritional education classes
- To offer educational programs to recipients and volunteers
- To empower the relationship between our neighbors
- To provide volunteer opportunities to be part of your local community
- To create relationships with local restaurants
- To link with other organizations promoting the importance of fresh, local and natural food for our community.
Project SHARE also supports the growth of community gardening in our area. Currently SHARE maintains a garden plot at its main site, as well as assisting Lamberton School to establish its own School Garden.
We also encourage home gardeners to “Grow A Row” for Project SHARE. By planting a row of vegetables and donating that produce to Project SHARE, home gardeners help to reduce hunger in our community.
Too many tomatoes? Zucchini out of control? Just plain tired of eating green beans and summer squash for dinner? SHARE will gladly accept your produce donation and put it to good use!
Garden Education & Special Projects
SHARE can arrange a special date/time/project for your group. For more information about the High Tunnel & Community Gardening, contact us at 717-249-7773, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Would You Like to become a Gardening Volunteer?
Both experienced and inexperienced gardeners are welcome. The Gardening Volunteer Schedule is:
Daytime hours: Tuesdays, April- August, 9 AM to 12 PM
Evenings: May13th, June 10th, July 8th, August 12th, 6 to 8 PM
Saturdays: May 30th, June 13th, July 11th, August 15th, 9 AM to 12 PM
How do I sign up? Choose 1 of 3 easy methods:
- Complete Project SHARE’s online volunteer application
- Email Project SHARE’s Volunteer Coordinator: email@example.com
- Give us a call! 717-249-7773