On Your Mark, Get Ready, READ!
Summer 2016’s Reading and Feeding Program for Kids
To many of us, summer vacation brings excitement, but others are filled with apprehension and uncertainty. Some parents do not know whether they will be able to provide their children with nutritious meals without the free school breakfast and lunch program.
As a community, we strive to provide a solution to this problem with the Summer Food and Reading Program! Local churches, organizations, school districts, and numerous dedicated volunteers are working towards feeding these hungry bellies as well as their minds with reading enrichment activities. Hot meals will be prepared and delivered from Project SHARE to this year’s site locations where children will also partake in crafts, books and relationship building activities.
The Summer Food and Reading Program will run from June 20th to August 11th on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10am to 12pm. The theme of this year’s program is “On Your Mark, Get Set, READ !” Children ages 5-12 will learn about all types of sports related topics including: Read for the Win; When, Where, Then, There; Out of the Ordinary; Fueling Your Engine; Science of Sports; Motion Commotion; The Olympics and Sportsmanship. Everyone receives hot meals and something to take home. Check out the flyer for more information on how to register.
This year’s site locations include: the Project SHARE Farm Stand, Church of God, Tree of Life Church, New Life Community Church (Mt. Holly), and LeTort Elementary School. The program is collaborated by Project SHARE and is not a part of Carlisle Area School District nor the South Middleton School District.
Can you help? Passionate hearts are needed in order for this to be a success, so if you want to know how you can help, here are a few ideas to consider:
- Teachers (volunteers) and those willing to assist them are needed who rotate between different sites each week with a reading activity they have selected.
- Program Staff at each site- working directly with the children and supervising activities.
- Help prepare meals at Project SHARE to be served at the sites.
- Be a driver who delivers the prepared food in hot boxes from Project SHARE to the sites.
- Assemble weekend bags that consist of non-perishable foods easy for children to prepare.
- Monetary donations are also greatly appreciated and helpful for food, transportation, paper supplies, books, art materials, etc.
Come join the program that is working to feed children this summer while nourishing creativity, opening young minds, and building community!
Contact Project SHARE staff members to volunteer: Joe Kloza, Education Coordinator JKloza@projectshare.net 717-249-7773 xt 236